Generator fumes kill seven people inside a studio in Bayelsa

About seven people reportedly lost their lives after inhaling fumes from a generator set inside a music studio on Transformer road in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

The deceased were said to have been working at the studio, owned by one of them identified as Akpos Barakubo, when the incident occurred on Monday night.

According to local residents, the study team members worked until midnight, turned on the generator set due to poor power supply, and fell asleep in the process.

Daily Trust reported that six bodies were recovered in the morning, while one person, who was unconscious and rushed to a hospital, later surrendered.

BREAKING NEWS: ‘Operation Banex’ soldier slaps a civilian until he leaves him in a coma

COUNTDOWN: Student Loan Portal Up and Running…Here’s How to Apply

It was also learned that most of the victims were students of a university in Delta State and were dedicated to recording music to finance their studies.

At the time of filing the report, security elements had cordoned off the area, while the bodies had been evacuated to a morgue.

A resident of the area, Damion Asamonye, ​​blamed the incident on the state and federal governments as well as the power distribution company, saying that if there was adequate power supply, there would have been no need to use the generator for the evening.

He said: “Both the federal and state governments have failed us. If there was public power supply, perhaps these people would not have lost their lives in this circumstance.

“Seven healthy young people died like this due to the failure of the government. The most annoying thing is that PHED (Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company) staff will soon come to disconnect the power they are not supplying. How can people spend their money on powering generators despite the current difficulties in Nigeria, even after paying electricity bills?

Another resident, Mrs Joy Reuben, said the community woke up on Tuesday morning to the tragic incident and called on the government to ensure that there is adequate power supply in the state.

When contacted, Bayelsa State Police Spokesperson ASP Musa Muhammed promised to inquire about the incident and call back, but did not call back. He also did not answer subsequent calls to his line.