Man accused of ‘removing’ Keane Mulready Woods body parts and hindering murder investigation

A Dublin man has been charged with “disposing of body parts” and impeding the investigation into the murder and dismemberment of Drogheda teenager Keane Mulready Woods in 2020.

Stephen Carberry, 46, appeared at Dublin District Court on Friday and made no bail application after facing three serious charges, which will lead to a trial before the Special Criminal Court without a jury.

Judge Monika Leech remanded Mr Carberry, of Adair Apartments, Sandymount, Dublin 4, in custody to appear again on May 31.

Keane Mulready Woods, 17, was last seen alive by his family on the evening of Sunday, January 12, 2020.

They killed him and then his body was dismembered.

Remains found in Coolock and in a burnt-out vehicle in Trinity Terrace, Dublin, and in Rathmullan Park in Drogheda, Co Louth, were those of the missing boy.

Carberry was charged with damaging by fire a Volvo V40 car, which bore false registration plates for the benefit of a criminal organisation, on January 15 in Trinity Terrace, Ballybough, Dublin 3.

The second charge alleges that from January 13 to 15, 2020, in Trinity Terrace, in order to enhance the ability of a criminal organization to commit a serious crime, murder, participated in or contributed to the transportation and disposal of body parts of Keane Mulready Woods. .

The third charge states that during the same two-day period in places throughout the State, he prevented the apprehension or prosecution of another person who committed the murder and knowing that he was guilty of that or another crime.

Detective Sergeant Enda O’Sullivan of Mountjoy Garda Station told Judge Leech that Mr Carberry replied: “I was never in Ballybough” to one charge and did not respond to the other two.

Detective Sergeant O’Sullivan added that the Director of Public Prosecutions had decided Carberry should be tried at the Special Criminal Court.

I expected the test book wouldn’t be ready for at least four weeks.

Defense lawyer John Feaheny said his client was not applying for bail at this time.

The judge ordered Carberry to remain in custody to appear again next Friday, but noted that the book of evidence would not be ready at that time.

Mr Carberry was granted free legal aid.

Charges against Owen Flood

A second man, Owen Flood, 30, who was facing related charges, also appeared in the same court. He is accused of using a stolen car on Sandymount Avenue, Dublin 4, on December 19, 2019.

On the same date, Mr Flood, of Ballybough Avenue, Dublin 3, is alleged to have stolen €50 worth of diesel from Applegreen Service Station, M1 Northbound, Lusk, Co Dublin.

Detective Sergeant Fergus Finnegan said Mr Flood’s response to the allegation was: “I will plead guilty immediately.”

The Crown Prosecution Service instructed gardaí that Flood would face an impeachment trial in the Circuit Court and that a book of evidence should also be drawn up for his case.

He was granted legal aid after the judge was informed that he had “no assets”. His lawyer, Aoife McTaggart, said the defense was “reserving our bail position” and he was remanded in custody to appear again next Friday.

Neither defendant addressed the court during their brief separate appearances before Judge Leech.

Last year, two men were jailed by the Special Criminal Court for related offences.

Gerard Cruise, 50, of Rathmullan Park, Drogheda, pleaded guilty to one charge that, with knowledge of the existence of a criminal organisation, he facilitated the murder of Keane Mulready Woods in Rathmullan Park, Drogheda.

He was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Paul Crosby, 28, of Rathmullan Park, Drogheda, pleaded guilty to the same charge and was jailed for 10 years.

Those proceedings heard that the main suspect in the murder was Robert Lawlor, a “notorious” criminal.

Lawlor, 36, from Dublin, was shot dead in Belfast in April 2020.