McDonald’s employee in Australia caught drying mop under French fry warmer

A McDonald’s employee in Australia has been reported after being caught on camera drying a mop under a French fry warmer in what customers describe as a “dirty” act.

The incident, which occurred at a branch in Booval, near Ipswich in Queensland, shows the employee holding what appears to be a gray microfiber mop head under the chip warmer, just inches from where the chips were kept warm and were served to customers.

The employee in the video appears to be unaware that she was being filmed while drying the mop on the French fry station.

Onlookers were stunned, with many decrying the lack of hygiene standards and expressing fears that food may have been contaminated.

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

“That’s the stupidest thing I’ve seen this year. This woman needs her food safety and hygiene procedures certificate torn up! asked one viewer.

A second added: “Unfortunately this puts people’s health at risk. “I shouldn’t be working in a fast food store.”

“The chips are always cold so I don’t see them drying the mop,” wrote another.

A fourth customer said: “They used to pride themselves on having a clean business, but that seems to have changed.”

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

“Wow, that’s fucked up and very disgusting, who the fuck would think this is shit that’s okay to do?” Another reacted.

A McDonald's employee in Australia was caught on camera drying a mop under the French fry warmer at its Booval branch in Queensland.
A McDonald’s employee in Australia was caught on camera drying a mop under the French fry warmer at its Booval branch in Queensland.

A McDonald’s Australia spokesperson issued a statement saying they take food safety “very seriously” and follow strict cleaning and hygiene procedures.

McDonald’s claims it was an isolated incident.

“McDonald’s takes food safety very seriously and follows strict cleaning, sanitation and hygiene procedures in all restaurants,” the statement said.

“We have addressed this issue directly with the restaurant and have conducted extensive training for all employees on McDonald’s sanitation, hygiene and food safety procedures.

“This was an isolated incident and we will continue to work with the restaurant to ensure this does not happen again.”

According to Daily Mail Australia, management has spoken to the employee, but she will keep her job.

Despite concerns about hygiene, others mocked the situation.

“Old McMop is back! It must be for a limited time only – get in while they’re hot,” one joked.

Another joked: “That’s where the flavor comes from.”

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

“I bet the mop head is hotter than potato chips,” wrote a third.