Floreat shooting: The man who shot two women to death and then himself met the older victim “through mutual contact”

A man who shot two women to death at a Floreat home knew the elderly victim through mutual contact and took his own life after committing the horrific crime, WA Police have revealed.

Dozens of police swarmed Berkeley Crescent around 4:30 pm after it was reported that someone had opened fire inside a house on the street.

When officers arrived, two people, believed to be a man and a woman, were found dead.

A younger woman was seriously injured and taken to Royal Perth Hospital, where they remained in a critical condition on Friday night.

On Saturday morning, WA Police confirmed the third person, a woman, had died.

“A woman who was taken to hospital yesterday afternoon has since died,” a WA Police spokeswoman said.

“Three people have now died in connection with this incident.”

Police later revealed that the man was in his 60s and committed suicide, while the older woman was in her 50s.

The younger woman’s age and her relationship to the two people are not yet known.

A press conference regarding the incident will be held later Saturday.

Neighbors said a mother and her two adult daughters live at the address.

A neighbor described the family as “normal, lovely professional people.”

“There were a couple different cars there today (parked at the house),” they said.

Another neighbor, David, said his daughter heard gunshots in her backyard while she was outside playing with her dog.

“She heard the gunshots and then ran inside, locked the doors and waited until we got home. “She said she just knew they were shots,” she said.

“I think he said it was three or four shots.

“We know the family (at that address) reasonably well and just hope they are okay.

“The people in this area are really kind and friendly.”

A fatal shooting at a Floreat home Friday afternoon left two women and the shooter dead.
camera iconA fatal shooting at a Floreat home Friday afternoon left two women and the shooter dead. Credit: Ross Swanborough/Western Australia

Another neighbor on the street, who was close to the family and did not want to be identified, said he was shocked by the incident.

“They are lovely people and now we are looking at how to explain to them what happened to our daughters,” she said.

The street was cordoned off between Kirkdale Avenue and Linden Gardens while police responded.

A police spokeswoman said late Friday that the incident had been contained and there were no ongoing threats to the public.

“WA Police will continue to provide support and assistance to family members, friends and first responders affected by this tragic incident,” the Force said in a statement on Saturday.

Life line 13 11 14