Assailant with machete filmed attacking businessman in Nateete is remanded in preventive detention

A 27-year-old man who was filmed armed with a machete and hammer attacking a customer at a milling company in Nateete, Rubaga Division, in an attempt to rob him, has been sent to Luzira Prison.

Ashiraf Kiiza, a machinery operator at Beshir Milling Investment in Nateete, in Kampala’s Rubaga division, was arraigned at the Mwanga II Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday and charged with aggravated robbery and attempted murder.
Kiiza was tracked down and arrested in Kyotera district days after the attack on the night of May 13 caught on a CCTV camera.

Presiding Principal First Magistrate Adam Byaruhanga did not allow Kiiza to plead guilty to the charges, saying his court has no jurisdiction to handle capital offences.
“…the charges against him are capital in nature and can only be tried in the High Court. Meanwhile, you will remain in remand until June 27 this year,” Byaruhanga said.

Impeachment case
It is alleged that on May 13, 2024, at Nateete, Mirembe area, Rubaga Division in Kampala, Kiiza, armed with a machete and a hammer, they attempted to rob Sh2 million from one Sam Turyamuhaki.
The State alleges that on the same day, Kiiza attempted to cause Turyamuhaki’s death during the botched robbery.
State prosecutor Caroline Mpumwire told the court that investigations into the case are almost complete. She asked the court for a brief continuance to allow the state to prepare documents for processing.

Court documents show that on the fateful day, Mr Turyamuhaki had gone to the milling company to collect money to pay the farmers, but while he was in the office with Bashir Ssekiwunga, the company director, and the cashier, Oliver Natasha , they gave him money worth Kiiza, which amounted to eight million shillings, he entered the office with a white sack from which he took out a machete and a hammer.
Kiiza is alleged to have ordered Turyamuhaki to drop the money he was counting.

“The victim (Turyamuhaki) then grabbed Kiiza while he was trying to pick up money with one of his feet and they started fighting. It was then that Kiiza began to cut the victim with the machete and hit him in the head with a hammer. Unable to take the money, Kiiza ran away with the machete and left the hammer,” the court file reads.
Turyamuhaki was subsequently rushed to hospital for treatment, after which the case was reported to the Nateete police.
(email protected)