Death of 20-year-old Gloriavale member investigated

An inquest into the death of a 20-year-old Gloriavale man has begun in Greymouth today.

Sincere Standtrue died in Christchurch Hospital in November 2018, the eldest in his family of 11 siblings. From the age of 15 he worked in the painting workshop of the Christian community.

Another Gloriavale member found him unconscious in the shop on the night of October 23, 2018. The person raised the alarm and Standtrue was taken out of the paint shop and placed on the grass outside.

Community members performed medical checks and CPR before the Greymouth rescue helicopter arrived a short time later.

Standtrue was admitted to Te Nikau Gray Hospital’s Emergency Department that night and was then transferred to Christchurch Hospital’s intensive care unit the following morning. Just over a week later, he was taken off the ventilator and he died on November 2.

His family has displayed photographs of Standtrue in the courtroom.

Christchurch Hospital (file image).

Coroner Alexandra Cunninghame opened proceedings this morning with a karakia and acknowledgment to Standtrue and his family.

“I know he was loved and his sudden loss has been deeply felt…I offer my deepest condolences for the loss of your son and brother,” she said.

His parents, Caleb and Hannah Standfast, gave a brief statement to the court through their attorney, Marcus Zintl.

“Honestly, you are loved and missed every day. Losing you was the hardest, but we are so grateful for the time we had with you,” he told the court.

The court will not form an opinion about the Gloriavale community during the proceedings, Coroner Cunninghame said.

Instead, the circumstances of Sincere Standtrue’s death would be investigated, he said.

“I urge everyone to keep in mind that we are working together for Sincere. I also want to be clear that everyone involved in this investigation must do so from the perspective that all people in New Zealand are free to practice the religion of their choice. “.

The investigation was independent of other cases in which Gloriavale and its members had been involved, Coroner Cunninghame said.

Counsel assisting the coroner, Nathan Laws, described to the court some of the issues involved in the inquest.

They included the cause of death, what the circumstances of his death were and whether the death was self-inflicted.

The state of mind you were in, including “whether Standtrue was harassed (including physical harassment and discipline), either at work or in the broader community,” and “how well Standtrue dealt with the situation.” in the community” were also points. It is likely to be explored, Laws said.

“It will also be considered whether Standtrue was satisfied with how his life was progressing according to markers within the community,” he said.

The inquest will hear from 52 witnesses, including medical experts, emergency services, first responders and members of the Gloriavale community who witnessed the events leading up to Standtrue’s death.

It will be extended until Friday and then adjourned until the next hearing dates in August.